Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Do it yourself (DIY) project (Saving my fashion jelwery)

So not only I am a makeup and beauty product junkie, I am also an accesories junkie. I love anything from earrings, necklaces, bangles to belts, shoes, hair accessories, bags and sunglasses. I think the accessories are what make an outfit. You could rock a plan white tee and jeans and take it to another level with the right accessories. So I buy alot of fashion jewelry and one thing I hate about fashion jewelry is that it doesnt have a long shelf life.  My gold plated jewerly usually last about 5 wears before turning or losing its colour then I would have to throw them or buy two prs if i really like the style. This is because it reacts with the sweat and oils in your skin which wears off the colour. I thought besides putting clear polish on my gold fashion jewelry what else can I do to save them? It hit me that I should take a trip to the hardware store since we don't have a real craft store here. I just went hoping to find something to help perhaps a gloss protector or some craft metallic paint to paint them over. I told the guy what I wanted and he carried me to the spray paint section and handed me a can of gold spray paint. I was looking at him like spray paint??? Is this safe? So he told me to read the label and I found out that it is safe as long as you don't apply it to Styrofoam  and spray in a ventilated area. So I bought it and took it home to save a fav pr of earrings and a bangle. Here are the results...
DISCLAIMER: PLEASE FIND OUT IF YOUR SKIN MIGHT REACT TO SPRAY PAINT AS IT IS A CHEMICAL.
Krylon Metallics Spray Paint used on metal. Not on Styrofoam.

Earrings before and after

Bangle Before and After

Earrings before and after



VERDICT: I am happy with the results. The colour of the spray paint is a little bit richer and less glossy so I added some clear nail polish over all of them to add some gloss. My mom loved the idea so much she brought her jewelry for me to spray.  I am going to check other hardware stores for variations in colour and still search for something like a gloss protectant. Using the spray paint reminded me of Kwame working on his art when I used to be in Hali. (good memories) check out his blog to see his work. http://andrewkwame.blogspot.com/.  If you have tips for saving your fashion jewelry let me know. Hasta...

6 comments:

  1. I have used nail polish on some earrings that were fading..never thought of spray pint though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know the old clear polish try but spray paint would last longer and make them look like new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwwwwwww @ Kwame reference sigh I miss Hali now dammit how are you woman, its been ages and yes i am MIA in Nigeria for the rest of the summer and boy is it hot :) yipee for a tan though. Love u

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the clear polish doesn't always work. But like Melisa said, I would've never thought about spray paint. The first thing I thought is if it's gonna rub off on my skin. Lol

    I have this spray that preserves photos and paper with a light gloss. I'll see if it says anything about metals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Ms Zee thank God you are alive. lol
    @ Juella - let me know how that works out.. and nope the paint doesnt rub off

    ReplyDelete